Tuesday 11 October 2011

Get Planning

If you are going to be taking part in the £7 challenge next week then now is the time to start planning your meals and shopping list. With only £7 to spend per person for all your food and drink for the whole week careful preparation is going to be needed if you are not going to run out of food half way through, or find that although you have a whole box of sugar puffs to eat you have no milk left to eat them with.

Also, you don't want to forget those items such as cooking oil, coffee/tea, milk, herbs, salt, sugar, spices...remember the £7 per person is to cover everything that you will use in your cooking and everything that you will eat and drink.

So far the cheapest option for oil I have found is £1 for 250ml of olive oil - but I can't remember if that was from Sainsburys or Morrisons.

In terms of drinks probably going to go with a reasonable own label instant (caffeinated) coffee, and then go without tea, and drink water for the rest of the day.

As I am doing this challenge with my wife we have £14 to spend between us which does allow for a bit more variety - in that we can afford both rice and lentils. We can also afford flour and yeast so will be able to make our own bread. Fresh fruit and veg is a challenge so will probably have to do with one piece of fruit a day. Protein will mainly be coming from kidney beans, which we have found for 16p a tin.

Probably go for an own brand jar of lemon curd, and peanut butter - and go without margarine/butter.

Breakfast is going to be porridge - so have to get up a bit earlier as it takes a bit longer to prepare, and a lot longer to wash up afterwards! I think we've got 1kg of porridge for £1.09 which will do about 25 portions - and by the end of the week we may have got used to eating it made with water instead of milk, and without salt, sugar or syrup.

3 comments:

Jilly said...

I think I spent my £7 on drinking water! Tap water here is very expensive. I have my heating on - also expensive. We have supplemented with home-grown vegetables which makes a difference. Tonight we're eating dal, curried vegetables and lentils and some rice - delicious!

Pastor Keith said...

Sounds good. I know I'm making the rules up as I go along but you can have the clean drinking water for free! Someone did suggest that we were cheating and that we should drink puddle or river water - maybe next year - or not. The home grown veg. is an interesting one - I've gone with 'No' on this one - although with several kgs of raspberries in the freezer and tomatoes still growing they would have made a great addition to our diet. See tonight's blog (day five) for some reflections on this.

Lucylee said...

Thoughts/conversations I've had this week:
wish I'd started on saturday not monday!/
missing yoghurt, cheese, eating out, costa decaf mocha, alcohol, meat, lettuce/
wish I'd bought curry powder (anyone want to swap kidney beans for some?)
how fortunate are we in London that we can have such variety of foods available/
Isaiah 58/
discipline in budgetting for things in general and food in particular/
self-control on eating habits in general/
opportunities to share this week with those at work that ask what on earth I'm doing - especially those on a diet/
how refreshing is water compared to all the fizzy drinks I usually have/
prayer for those living today in need of water, power....meals for family or medicine for their sick child/
fasting in general especially when I'm surrounded by chocolate on the wards and theatres/
what about donations - how do you not become dependent as a nation living on a budget supplied by other nations.....?/
My grandad who used to organise his village in Jamaica so that they could go on mass to market to sell their oranges to the highest bidder...