Friday 27 November 2009

Don't worry, be happy

'Don't worry, be happy' - great - but based on what? On what grounds shouldn't I worry? Putting on a 'happy face' in public, even though my world is crumbling around me is one thing - but what about in the middle of the night, when I lay awake at night? Is it so easy not to worry then?

The grounds for not worrying, according to Paul in Philippians 4:6-7, is that when we present our requests to God, God will give us peace. There is no promise here that the situation or crisis will go away - but there is the promise of peace. But these requests come out of a thankful attitude - an awareness of what God has already done - not in the sense of providing me with so much stuff - but in the sense that He has begun a work and will carry it on, that I am loved, that my sin is forgiven, that I have a hope for the future......

There have been times in my life when I have experienced this peace that makes no sense - total peace in the middle of the raging storm. If you're looking for peace - ask God.

Click here to listen to this message.

No comments: